Twitterchat recap on healthy eating w/ SHAPE Mag & Elizabeth Ward
I love Twitter chats. For those not familiar with chats they’re an opportunity for tweet peeps to get ‘together’ at a certain date and time to discuss a topic. Everyone uses the same hashtag. For example #letsdish is one of the tweetchats I participated in last week. Hosted by @Shape_Magazine (shape.com) registered dietitian nutritionist and author of MyPlate for Moms, How to Feed Yourself & Your Family Better: Decoding the Dietary Guidelines for Your Real Life Elizabeth Ward (@EWardRD) was the special guest with Jamba Juice (@JambaJuice), answering a variety of questions about healthy eating. Numerous other tweeps piped in with suggestions, ideas, and questions that made it quite a lively and educational hour.
Here were some tweet highlights. Apologies if I credited the wrong individual with a tweet—regardless, it was all good info! To make this blog more readable I spelled out some of the abbreviations. Have anything to add? Make a note in the comments!
Question: How can I help improve my family’s eating habits?
- I’m a mom of 3. I let kids choose & help prepare healthy recipes for meals and snacks so that they take an interest. (@EWardRD)
- Make time for balanced, tasty & enjoyable family mealtime. (@HealthyEating)
- At home, role model ow.ly/sqVV7 (@TrinaR_RD)
- 10 Tips to Help Working Parents Get Dinner On The Table (@katy_dyer)
- You can also check out: 30 healthy ways to cook chicken, lots of ideas for you! shpe.co/1fgTejT (@thegetfitdiva)
Question: What are some tips to get in fiber and healthy but tasty filling foods?
- Try yummy grains such as farro and quinoa for a change. Make chili with half the meat, 2x beans. (@EWardRD)
- Slow cooked black beans (@TrinaR_RD)
- Try one of these ideas to add more #fiber to your diet: ahmi.co/1cd1QCH (@HealthierMI)
- Love this whole-wheat pasta w/beans, spinach & sundried tomatoes! amzn.to/1e8mRAI (@EWardRD)
Question: What’s the easiest way to get protein in earlier in the day?
- Eggs, milk, Greek yogurt, @JambaJuice smoothie with protein boost, nuts, nut butters are how I get protein! (@EWardRD)
- Some of my faves—eggs & milk! (@JenniferNeily)
- Eggs & milk are my faves too! I start my day w/ whole grain toast, 1 hard boiled egg & latte! (@Ashley_RD)
- Greek yogurt at breakfast is my protein! (@TrinaR_RD)
- Hi-protein breakfasts: 1c Greek yogurt, berries & egg or 1c cottage cheese w/pineapple, handful nuts. (@JenniferNeily)
- Protein powder in smoothies too! (@lisadefazioMSRD)
What are some quick snacks for vegetarians who work out 4-5 times a week?
- Nonfat Greek yogurt; ½ PB or almond butter sandwich on wheat and 4 oz milk or fortified soy milk; 8 oz choc (@EWardRD)
- Whole grain toast with banana and peanut butter. (@kimcgriffin)
- Hummus and carrots or any veggie. Broccoli is a carb and chickpeas are protein (@vizhen1)
- For after workout…look for 3:1 carb/protein balance within 30-60 minutes (@JenniferNeily)
What are some tips to prepare meals for the week ahead?
- Take time on weekend to plan meals, shop. Make 1 or 2 dishes on weekend for meals during week; pair w/fruit, veg, dairy (@EWardRD)
- A menu planning tool or make-ahead recipes that can be reheated later. (@HealthyEating)
- Create a menu – cook in bulk on Sundays and always have fresh cut veggies and protein available in the fridge! (@OrganicandFit)
- Pinterest for meal-prep inspiration! (@TrinaR_RD)
- It’s all about meal planning! healthyeating.org/Healthy-Eating… (@Ashley_RD)
What are some good alternatives to protein bars for healthy on the go eating?
- Our favorites: a crisp apple and almonds or nut stuffed dates! (@NutritionalSci1)
- Go w/ snacks that have a balance of protein & carbs; string cheese w/ apple, nuts & dried fruit, fruit/milk smoothie. (@Ashley_RD)
- Carrot sticks and hummus, raw almonds, fresh fruit, natural Greek yogurt with dry fruit. (@FlauntingMommy)
- Make your own pro bars that can incorporate fruit, nuts & oats for a well rounded snack. (PrettyLilGrub)
What is the difference between clean eating and Paleo?
- My colleague @MaurenB_RD sheds an RD spin on the popular Paleo diet (@Ashley_RD)
- Clean eating = unprocessed foods, like whole grains, fruits, veg, fats, & fresh meat, poultry seafood. (@EWardRD)
- On Paleo, eggs, nuts, and seeds are OK but no dairy, wheat, grains, or legumes. No processed foods. (@EWardRD)
- Paleo = fresh lean meats and fish, fruits, and vegetables, and healthy fats like olive and coconut oils. (@EWardRD)